You are here: Home / Family Law

Dedicated Houston Family Law Attorney

Texas divorce lawyer gets results when families need them most

In a divorce or custody proceeding, everything you have in life can be placed at the discretion of a judge or jury: your children, your house, your business, your relationships, your life savings, your pension and retirement plans . . . in short, your life.

If you are in a family law dispute, you are very likely in the most confusing and upsetting time of your life.  Proper planning and the continuity of effective legal advice by Attorney Burton can help reduce costs, resolve your case, and more importantly, can help eliminate your stress and anxiety.

Championing client interests

Family law attorney Thomas H. Burton III has spent years protecting the rights of children and parents embroiled in divorce and custody battles in Harris County and across Texas. He understands the complex issues involved and makes his clients priorities his own priorities.

He has earned a reputation for sensible representation and a record of results. He has been appointed in Child Protective Services cases to represent mothers, fathers and children. His experience also includes numerous appeals.

Frequently, other family law attorneys seek his counsel on complex cases.

With a remarkable knowledge of Texas family law, Attorney Burton tailors strategies to achieve client goals, no matter what type of family law matter a client has:

  • Divorce
  • Custody
  • Child support
  • Maintenance/alimony
  • Post-divorce modification
  • College expenses
  • Paternity actions
  • Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
  • Parent visitation
  • Civil unions
  • Annulments
  • Legal separation
  • Adoptions
  • Appeals

Please see the firms frequently asked questions about family law.

A Houston, Texas family lawyer you can count on

Attorney Burton believes every client deserves a family law attorney dedicated to their best interests. Contact Burton Law Firm online or at (713) 933-5323, day or night, to see how he can help.


Frequently asked questions about family law

What factors does the court consider to divide marital property?

Texas courts consider the following criteria in property division:

  • Length of the marriage
  • Either person's prior marriage(s)
  • Each person's age, health, station, income, vocational skills, employability, estate, liabilities and needs
  • Contribution by one spouse to the education, training or increased earning power of the other spouse
  • Opportunity to acquire future income and assets
  • Sources of income, including medical, retirement, insurance and other benefits
  • Services rendered as a parent, wage earner or homemaker
  • Value of each person's property
  • Standard of living established during the marriage
  • Tax consequences of the distribution
  • Custodial parent designation

Back to top

If my husband and I cannot agree on the division of certain household items, will we have to litigate the division?

Most divorce court judges and lawyers try to prevent people from litigating the division of household items, because it often costs more money in legal fees to fight over those items than it would to buy new ones. But if you and your ex-husband cannot agree, it is likely you will need to seek legal help, because your property settlement will not be complete until these items are divided. If you don't do it, the judge will simply divide them in a manner neither of you likes.

Back to top

My ex is behind on alimony and child support. What recourse do I have?

You can go to the court clerk's office in the court that ordered child support and request that the clerk issue a garnishment against the supporting parent's wages. To do this, you need to know your ex's place of employment, address, and Social Security number. If your ex is at least one month behind, the court sends a garnishment to the employer and the support is taken out of his or her paycheck. You could also go after your ex's property, but this is a longer process and might not be as satisfying, since cars and homes are often leased or mortgaged. Another option is to file a petition for contempt and get an order to show cause why the payments are not being made. This puts your ex back in court. A skilled family law attorney can review the options with you and guide you to the best solution for your needs.

Back to top

I am the custodial parent. Can I deny visitation?

The purpose of visitation rights is for children of a divorced couple to understand they have two parents who are entitled to love their children and be loved in return. If the children come back from a weekend with their non-custodial parent and are upset or tell you they do not want to go anymore, that is not reason to deny visitation unless their health and welfare are endangered by the visitation. If you are having a disagreement with your ex or harbor ill feelings, that is not reason to deny visitation. However, the noncustodial parent is entitled only to reasonable visitation. That means if he or she wants to see your child in the middle of the night or is drunk or stoned, you do not have to permit visitation.

Back to top

Page Tags: Houston family law lawyer | Harris County family law attorney | Montgomery county family law lawyer | Fort Bend County family attorney

Where we serve

Burton Law Firm is located in Houston, TX and serves clients in and around Tomball, Houston, Fort Bend County, Harris County, Montgomery County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
[ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at or