You are here: Home / FAQ

Frequently asked questions about estate planning

Do I need a will?

A will protects your property and can especially be helpful if you want to distribute your property to people other than your relatives. Without a will, state law dictates the distribution of your property. The default plan normally distributes property to relatives.

Is it necessary for a lawyer to draft my will?

While it may seem straightforward for you to draft your will yourself, personally-drafted wills tend to be incomplete and are, therefore, invalid under state law. An attorney familiar with Texas estate laws can legally draft a will that is valid in Texas.

What happens if someone dies without a will?

Texas law uses a default will for anyone who dies without a will. Typically, the spouse and children of the person who died take the property. If there is no spouse and no children, the decedent's parents take the property, followed by siblings, grandparents, and children of the grandparents. If no close relation can be found, the property eventually belongs to the state. Note, though, that as part of the probate process, the decedent's creditors lay claim to the property after certain allowances for spouse and children.

A Houston, Texas lawyer you can count on

Attorney Burton believes every client deserves an attorney dedicated to their best interests. Contact Burton Law Firm online or at (713) 933-5323, day or night, to see how he can help with everyday legal needs.

Where we serve

Burton Law Firm is located in Houston, TX and serves clients in and around Tomball, Houston, Fort Bend County, Harris County, Montgomery County.

Attorney Advertising. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.
[ Site Map ] [ Bookmark Us ]

See our profile at or